The Reverend S.E. Mercer discussed the idea of a Methodist college for women at an October 1906 meeting of. Several locations were considered but the final vote was to build on the heritage of Maxton, it being the site of the former Floral College. Mercer was appointed financial agent and began to solicit funds. The cornerstone for this the first building to be built for the Carolina Methodist College for Women was laid in 1908 but construction was not finished until 1912. Opening enrollment was sixty-five girls from Georgia, North and South Carolina. Reverend Mercer was named the first president of the college; he remained for two years before resigning. Reverend R.B. John of Scotland County was named the second president; he severed until 1923 when S.E. Green was named.
By 1926 Duke University had received its large legacy from Buck Duke with the condition that the Duke admit women students. As a result the North Carolina Methodist Conference voted in 1926 to close Carolina College.
On September 28, 1927 a presentation was made to the Fayetteville Presbyterian asking to establish a junior college. After discussion it was decided to acquire the former Carolina College property from the Methodist Conference for the $35,000, which was the outstanding debt on the facility. The new college opened for its first session on September 11, 1929.
Dr. E.L. Siler, one of the first trustees in a Founder’s Day address, February 1930 said, “Presbyterian Junior College originated in the soul and brain of R.A. McLeod.” He was chosen as first president of the institution and served until his death in January 1932. Other presidents were Mr. R.G. Matheson, Jr. 1932 - 1934; Rev. Cary Adams 1934 – 1938; and Dr. Louis LaMotte 1938 – 1961. In 1961 it merged with Flora McDonald College to form St. Andrews Presbyterian College and moved to Laurinburg.
With the departure of Presbyterian Junior College the Maxton campus was once again empty when in stepped Colonel Leslie Blankinship. He was a Virginian by birth and had been president of Millersburg Military Institute in Kentucky. He made arrangements to take over the deserted campus and received his first students in 1962. Colonel Blankinship served until 1969 when he resigned to accept a position with the United States Office of Education in Atlanta. Rev. Harold Stanley served as president until the academy was closed due to financial difficulties on May 27, 1972. This building burned in 1973.
This image appears in my book - Robeson County in Vintage Postcards.